Brand X is a not for profit arts organisation run by artists for artists. They are widely recognised as the leading service provider for activating empty spaces for the independent arts sector, with an impressive track record of breathing creative life into what would otherwise be disused spaces across the city.
In May 2014, TWT appointed Brand X, to manage the activation and creative programming of a number of disused and empty commercial buildings that make up the newly created TWT Creative Precinct in St Leonards. Future activations within the precinct will include a visual arts residency program, photography hub, bicycle workshop, electronic music studio, rehearsal space, creative retail and independent art gallery.
Brand X will curate a creative calendar of events for the people of St Leonards to engage with the Precinct, including monthly arts activities and a major laneway festivals.
With over eight-years experience in space activation, Brand X Director, James Winter is a leading authority in making creative use of vacant spaces and works closely with property developers, local councils and key arts organisations across NSW to provide affordable space to the arts community and enhance the cultural life of NSW.
Brand X Director, James Winter in Atchison Lane off Atchison St, St Leonards where he developed TWT’s first Block Party (‘laneway festival’) in October 2014.
“Brand X is delighted to be working with TWT on our first activation on the north shore. The spaces that make up the TWT Creative Precinct hold huge potential to transform these streets into a corridor for celebration, collaboration and belonging,”
“There are already a host of creative businesses around Atchison Street and we feel that by complimenting and engaging with those businesses, as well as bring new energy into the space, the outcome will be a revived, artistic boulevard that will bring an eclectic cultural life into the surrounding streets, making it a destination for visitors, locals and artists alike.” Mr Winter said
By providing independent artists with support in a competitive marketplace Brand X encourage new work, new audiences and a vibrant cultural life in NSW.
Since 2005, Brand X has serviced over 63,585 artists with space in which to work.
Brand X are currently managing the following spaces in Sydney:
- Brand X at L3 Central is a multi-arts cultural pop-up, featuring visual arts studio and gallery space, creative retail and rehearsal and event space for hire. This large scale ‘creative playground’ sprawls across 1,000sqms on Level 3 of Central, the retail hub of the $2 billion mixed-used Central Park development on Broadway. This is Brand X’s second partnership with global property developers Frasers Property and Sekisui House, following the success of the FrasersStudios facility that they managed on behalf of the developers from 2008-2012.
- The Brand X Studio in Campbell St, Surry Hills which provides visual artists with an environment that is part workspace, part gallery and part creative retail.
- Heffron Hall in Darlinghurst which provides subsidised rehearsal space for inner-city artists, made possible by funding from the City of Sydney.
- Tempe Jets is a facility that supports emerging independent and experimental musicians. Offering rehearsal space and office space for local music organisations.
- Camperdown Bowling Club is a facility for performing artists to use as free rehearsal space.